diamond buying guidelines
There are guidelines that you would do well to keep in mind when choosing a diamond to purchase, more so if it’s for an engagement ring or a wedding band. Try to follow the following advice:
- Make sure that you are buying from a jeweler that is a member of the Jewellers Association of Australia. This is a regulating body that binds all its members to moral selling regulations.
- Ask as many questions — a reputable jeweller will actually spend time answering all your queries and help you find the diamond that is a perfect fit to both your standards and price range.
- Explicitly ask if the diamond has been treated and if it is, ask what are the effects of the treatment.
- Examine the diamond under good lighting conditions.
- Ask for a grading certificate from an independent laboratory GIA (Gemological Institute of America) if you’re looking to purchase a 0.5 carat diamond or more.
- Upon paying a deposit, request a detailed receipt enumerating the characteristics of the diamond and any linked piece of jewellery.